Sunday, March 20, 2005

Proustian peregrination II





My task, to write a book which will inspire people. I don't want to call them my readers, but readers of their own selves. My book will be a sort of magnifying glass: it will offer them a means of seeing what's inside them, so that at the end of it they will not say, "This a good book or a bad one", but rather they'll say, "Yes, this is how it is. This is what it's like."

Where to begin? I know, I know. I can hear the little bell on the garden gate at Combray...


Marcel

Paraphrase in the six-part BBC Radio 4 dramatisation In search of lost time, by Michael Butt, Part 6: Time Regained.


Schiff's translation of Time Regained, volume 7


Á la recherche du temp perdu






Lionel Trilling:

The writer who defines his audience by its limitations is indulging in the unforgivable arrogance. The writer must define his audience by its abilities, by its perfections, so far as he is gifted to conceive them.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Feed